Congregation Shaarey Zedek - Celebrating Jewish Life
The membership continued to grow, and in 1913, as the first Conservative Jewish Congregation in the Detroit area, Shaarey Zedek became one of the founding congregations of the United Synagogue of America. Since the nineteenth century, members of the congregation have played leading roles in Michigan, the nation and in world Jewry.
Congregation Shaarey Zedek has worshipped in seven different structures since its founding: in Detroit from two structures at Congress and St. Antoine (1865 to 1877 and 1877 to 1903); at Winder and Brush (1903 to 1913); at Willis and Brush (1913 to 1930), rented temporary quarters (1930-1932) and at Chicago Boulevard and Lawton (1932 to 1962) before moving to its current home on Bell Road in Southfield in 1962. In the early 1990's, Bnai Israel of West Bloomfield became a part of CSZ and remained so until 2010.
Congregation Shaarey Zedek provides a permanent resting place for members and their families at our Clover Hill Park Cemetery in Birmingham, MI. Funeral services are often held there at the Davidson-Hermelin Chapel.
Congregation Shaarey Zedek is dedicated to the creation of a community that provides a welcoming place to grow spiritually, educationally and socially within Conservative Judaism.
|Congregation Shaarey Zedek
27375 Bell Road / Southfield, MI 48034 / Tel: 248/357-5544 / firstname.lastname@example.org
The funding for this website has been made possible by a generous endowment
honoring the memory of Dorothy and Max Shaye.