April 22, 2020, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
As we struggle through these difficult times, we look beyond the present crisis — and, in partnership with Hazon, we join the Jewish community to #soundthecall on this 50th Earth Day.
This is a call to action — a call to change our behaviors, to think more equitably, to live more sustainably, to act more compassionately, to share the bounty of our planet with all who inhabit it and to protect our Earth from those who do it harm.
At 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time, join virtually from around the world as we sing songs, raise our voices, and gear up to blow the shofar at 12:00 Noon Eastern Time for Planet Earth and a healthy vision forward.
RSVP HERE to be sent the Zoom link a few days before.
Why are we doing this?
The shofar signifies a moment of change, a new wave of hope, a call to action, strength in the face of adversity. The shofar announces that living more sustainably on this planet is central to our Jewish life, not incidental to it.
We Sound the Call for:
• a reminder that everything we have comes from this earth
• a reminder of the ancient wisdom of Jewish tradition
• a celebration of planet earth
• a call of alarm for our global climate crisis
• a call to look back on what we have done and make changes moving forward
• global commitments to public health and healthcare for every individual
• global commitments to living more sustainably
• helping those in need – personally, institutionally and governmentally
• kindness and honesty and striving to be our best selves
• a sense of hope for the future
When are we doing this?
• April 22, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time – join virtually from around the world as we sing songs, raise our voices, and gear up to blow the shofar at 12:00 Noon Eastern Time for Planet Earth and a healthy vision forward. RSVP on Hazon’s website.
RSVPs will be added to an open letter to Congress advocating for:
– invest immediately in health care, at this time of crisis
– invest for the future in better public health systems
– invest now and in the future for green legislation, to help create a more sustainable world for all