How to Use Zoom
What Is Zoom and How Do I Use It?
Zoom is a video conferencing app that allows groups to meet from various locations.
- You will need a computer, tablet, or smartphone with speaker or headphones and, to fully participate, a video or web camera. (Most smartphones, tablets, and laptops have these). You will have the opportunity to check your audio immediately upon joining a meeting.
- If you are using a phone or tablet, you will need an app for the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Look for the “ZOOM Cloud Meetings” app with a video camera icon.
- You should download the app in advance.
- If you are unsure you will be able to connect, you can use the https://zoom.us/test link whenever you want. This will allow you to practice connecting, as below.
- If you need technical help with connecting, please call 248.357.5544 or e-mail Robert Rich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try to connect 5-10 minutes early. To join the video conference:
- Click the event link.
- If you are on a computer, and using Zoom for the first time, you may be instructed to download the Zoom application. Please follow the on-screen instructions to download and install Zoom.
- Once you are connected through Zoom, you have an opportunity to test your audio at this point by clicking on “Test Computer Audio.”
- Once you are satisfied that your audio works, click on “Join audio by computer.”
- If you prefer, you can connect by “Phone Call”. Click on the tab to get the connection information. You connect by dialing the number given, then typing in the Meeting ID followed by #, then typing your participant ID followed by #.
- Once you are connected, your system may ask you to approve use of the camera and microphone by Zoom. You should do so.
- You may also join a meeting without clicking on the invitation link by going to join.zoom.us on any browser and entering the Meeting ID.
Participant controls in the lower left corner of the Zoom screen. Using the icons in the lower left corner of the Zoom screen, you can:
- Mute/Unmute your microphone (far left)
- Turn on/off camera (“Start/Stop Video”)
- Invite other participants
- View Participant list – opens a pop-out screen that includes a “Raise Hand” icon that you may use to raise a virtual hand
- Change your screen name that is seen in the participant list and video window
- Somewhere on your Zoom screen you will also see a choice to toggle between “speaker” and “gallery” view. “Speaker view” shows the active speaker. “Gallery view” tiles all of the meeting participants.
For certain events, our digital Gabbaim or event administrators may disable some or all of these controls for better security or to enhance the experience.
Additional Information: How to Adjust Your Zoom View